Custom North South and Thomson-East Coast Line map

In 2012, I published a conceptual STARIS map on the Skyscraper City forums, showcasing the North South Line (NSL) and Thomson Line (TSL) on one map, reminiscent of the one in use by SMRT depicting the North South Line and East West Line.

This concept intrigued me as the NSL and TSL follows a parallel route from Woodlands to Marina Bay, with three interchanges along the way, spanning from the northernmost point to the southernmost. In an alternate world where the two lines were built together, they may have shared the same rolling stock.

Prospective North South-Thomson Line map

For some reason, I gave the TSL an outlandish pink to complement the NSL's red. At the time, it was also suspected that the Eastern Region Line (ERL) would interchange with the TSL at the final station in a cross platform interchange similar to Sungei Bedok today. Overall, I was extremely pleased with the aesthetic effect of this map.

Following the merger of the TSL and ERL to form the Thomson-East Coast Line (TEL), I toyed with the idea of revising the map over the years. However, due to time constraints and work commitments, it lingered as an unfinished project until last week, when I finally decided to tackle it.

Ongoing process of revamping the map

The most immediate jobs were to rename all the TEL stations from their predicted to actual names, recolour the line, and convert the station caplets to the modern rounded versions with new interchanges and stations added. I also fixed a nagging detail on the original map and aligned Woodlands North's position next to Choa Chu Kang's.

Before and after
 
I then had to ponder how to fit the additional TEL stations without skewing the map. It was decided to arrange it neatly under the map as a third column and aligned it with the Jurong East on the opposite end. This arrangement would greatly enhance cable management on an actual map.

In doing so, I discovered that the curvatures leading to Woodlands, Orchard, and Marina Bay did not adhere to a standardized pattern with a predetermined number of bulbs in between them. This inconsistency led to the misalignment of TEL4/5's bulbs with the stations above. Consequently, I had to shorten its length to accommodate two bulbs in between, even though they will never be used.


Before and after

Two stations' space between Shenton Way and Marina South
 
Once that was completed, it was time to add the TEL extension to Changi Airport Terminal 5 and Tanah Merah, even though this section will not be operational until the 2040s, and volia!
 
Completed North South-Thomson East Coast Line map

I am extremely pleased with how this map has turned out. Do let me know if you find any mistakes or have suggestions for future maps, and I will try to work it into my schedule.

I hope you have enjoyed this post.

Comments